Level : Intermediate
Yield : 4 servings
4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp white pepper
½ tsp salt
some freshly ground black pepper
3 green chillis, chopped
3 tomatoes, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 large eggs
A handful of fresh coriander
2 tbsp of PREGO traditional tomato sauce with some water
1 small can of tomato puree
8-10 pcs of feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
2. Add in the onions and stir well until soft and translucent.
3. Add in the garlic, bell pepper and green chillis follow by smoked paprika, chilli flakes, cayenne powder, salt, white pepper and few turns of black pepper.
4. Cook until fragrant for another 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato puree / PREGO traditional tomato sauce follow by 1 tbsp of tomato sauce, follow by diced tomatoes and let it simmer until slightly thickened, you may add some water if needed.
6. Make 4 little wells in the sauce and crack in the eggs. Simmer until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
7. Off the heat , sprinkle the eggs with a few turns of black pepper and salt. Scatter the crumbled feta cheese and fresh coriander. Serve it with some toasted bread.
Get all the ingredients here: https://bansan.my/collections/recipe-shashuka